Thursday, November 10, 2011

Grappling with apples, Nov.11



Apple picking this year was a full-day extravaganza of hiking, picnicing and playing apple-ball in the orchard. I came home with a bushel of rosy beauties and decided to revisit some tried and true recipes from last year.

I cannot stress enough the dee-lici-ous-ness of this Apple Pie with Cheddar Crust. I always add a little extra cheddar on top during the last few minutes of baking. The more cheddar, the better.

I also tried these Autumn In A Bite cookies again because last year I used homemade caramel sauce in place of caramel candies. This time around I made two versions - with and without caramels. Both turned out great, but a word to the wise: bake them almost twice as long as the recipe calls for. At 10 minutes they were still doughy and the caramels still stiff and sticky. At about 18-20 minutes they were browned and gooey. A pinch of sea salt makes a perfect bite.

What I love about apples is their versatility. They are just as good sweet as they are savory. For dinner one night I improvised on this recipe and made a Roasted Apple-Butternut Squash Pizza. I followed the dough recipe but mixed in some fresh thyme for a little extra oomph. For toppings, I thinly sliced 3 apples and half a butternut squash and mixed these with diced shallots, garlic, thyme, basil, olive oil, sea salt and black pepper. I had to bake this a bit longer than 10 minutes as well, probably closer to 15 minutes. A sprinkle of parmesan on top as it comes from the oven is always a good idea. Buon apetito!

Finally, I got creative one night when I was too tired to really cook, and came up with Grilled Chicken Tacos with Apple-Radish-Shallot Relish. Boo threw some chicken on the barbie. I whipped up garlic-shallot black beans and made a quick relish of diced apples, radishes and shallots marinated in apple cider vinegar. I layered these delish ingredients on a corn tortilla, topped it with sliced avocado and went to taco heaven.


Other Apple recipes that sound amazing:

Rustic Apple French Toast

Ravioli with Apples and Walnuts

Praline-Apple Bread

Caramelized Onion Tarts With Apples


XO

No comments:

 
Custom Search